August 26, 2015

For my school blog.


Why I am free
     To spiritually exercise during the school year, I am going to write a Bible study for anyone who wants to read it. This is mostly for me. Recently I have done a civics discussion for school. One of the questions was when and how should anyone resist the government if it is acceptable at all. I came to believe that the government should protect freedom. One of my classmates said that the government is made of men, and men are naturally evil. Now, my post doesn't have much to do with that topic at all, but I came to wonder if the government isn't perfect, how can it be the one that defines freedom? Naturally, their definition wouldn't be perfect either. Today I read a passage in the Bible that talks about this. The first part of it somewhat explains the respect one should have towards the government.

1 Peter 2:13-17 New International Version (NIV)

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. 17 Show proper respect to everyone: love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

     Obviously, we should respect the government, but that is not what I want to talk about. Ultimately, my King is Jesus. If the government should go wrong, I will follow Him. I will follow Him first anyway, though. In this world our job is to make disciples of all nations. (Mt. 28:19) That's the mission field. What would freedom be defined as in God's present kingdom on earth? In the US, many people think that freedom is the right to be able to do anything they want to do. They are "free" to think whatever they want to. They may live in whatever way is the easiest for them. I've been guilty of thinking like that too. A lot of times, that is true for the United States.

     Jesus is perfect, so He should be able to define freedom for a human being. This passage says that to be free is to be slaves of God. At first that makes no sense at all. In fact, even Christians around the world who live as slaves of God don't seem very free sometimes. That's one of the amazing things about God. He is not only able to grant His children physical, worldly freedom, but He also gives spiritual freedom. He sets the heart free and filled with joy when His children do His commands. All the hard work and persecution a Christian may go through will not be done in vain. Instead, he/she will be rewarded greatly for the battle they faced on earth.

      That is why I am free. Not because I live in America. Not by any worldly measure or definition of freedom. No. I am free because I am a slave. I am free because my Master is perfect. He is good. I am free because I don't have to worry about life in this world; I have hope in the life to come. Most of all, I am free because my Savior came to earth to die for me. I was sinful, but Jesus paid for it with His own life. I am free because He is holy. I will live a life worthy of what I believe in.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! :)